Friday, October 28, 2011

Black Bean and Corn Salad/Salsa

I'm not sure if you all experience what I experience, but EVERY TIME I buy cilantro it goes bad before I can use it all. Last night, I was craving some sort of corn and black bean salad/salsa. I went to my fridge and got creative! I absolutely LOVE the flavor of cilantro so mine has extra, but feel free to add to your taste level! Thanks to Katie for the onion powder suggestion since I was out of red onion and felt yellow would be too strong! Feel free to add/delete items to your taste buds - GET CREATIVE!

1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 cup frozen corn (thawed) - or 1 can corn
1 Roma tomato (seeded and diced) - or 1/2 cup canned diced tomato
1 red pepper (diced)
2 tbsp cilantro (chopped)
2 tbsp chopped green chilies
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp lime juice
1/2 tbsp crushed garlic
1.5 tbsp vegetable oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Combine all items in a bowl. Stir and let chill! You can also serve immediately if you are impatient like me! ;)



I got 4 portions (1 cup per serving) clocking in at 4P+ each!

Serve with some Spanish rice, on top of a black-bean burger, with tortilla chips, on salad....ENDLESS possibilities!


Isn't it GREAT when you can 'use what you have' on hand to get a filling and delicious result?


What are some of your 'use what you have' recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment