Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Happy New Year!

It has been over a month since I posted last! Sorry for the delay, but between traveling home to NC and enjoying my vacation I have been LAZY! One of my good friends Katie and I have been doing My Fitness Pal (MFP) for a few weeks now (with a slight hiatus for the holidays). We have had some really good successes from MFP and were both eagar to start back this new year! I forgot to mention: MY FITNESS PAL IS FREEEEE!!! (It also has a cool mobile app that allows you to 'scan' nutrition via barcodes on products straight to your diary for the day!)

For me, that means COOKING healthy foods and EXERCISING at least 4 times a week! Last night, I was craving mexican foods and went to target on the hunt for frozen green pepper blend. I found them, but they were not on sale. :( Right below them was my new favorite thing (of the moment)! It was an Archer Farms brand "Southwest-Inspired Corn & Black Bean" blend. This blend ROCKS! It was on sale this week for $1.66 for the bag! The blend included black beans, corn, green pepper, red pepper, onion, and south west spices! I simply sauteed these on the stove in some cooking spray and waited to assemble my "Mexican Pizza." This meal was quick, healthy, easy, and budget friendly!

Finished Product! Mexican "Pizza" and Spanish Rice!


Mexican "Pizza"

1 Low Carb Tortilla (I like Mission Low Carb Taco Sized)
1 Wedge Laughing Cow Queso Fresco & Chipotle

1/2 Bag of Southwest Inspired Corn and Black Bean (I seasoned extra with just a little Mrs. Dash Chipotle Blend)
2 Tbsp Sour Cream (Light)

Toast tortilla in small pan then spread cheese on tortilla. Next, top with black bean mix and sour cream! Enjoy!

Meanwhile, I prepared a super easy LOW FAT Spanish rice to go with my "pizza"!

Spanish Rice
Serves: 4

2 Bags Boil in Bag Basmati Rice (or 2 cups cooked rice)
1 (14 oz) Can Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies
1 cup Onion
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Chili Powder
1/2 cup Diced Green Chilies
1/2 cup tomato juice
Salt and Pepper to taste

Saute onion and diced green chilies in a pan with cooking spray. Once cooked, add in diced tomatoes, tomato juice, spices, and rice.Let simmer until all liquid is absorbed.

Spanish rice, 1 serving Calories 186  Carbs 41 Fat 0 Protein 4 Sodium 311 Fiber 0

3 comments:

  1. I am getting hungry just looking at that!! Definitely on my "To-Cook" list!!

    My name on MFP is LGIFitness2K11 add me!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe insipration!!! I am glad we can have 'twin dinners' even one state apart ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whats your MFP name?!
    Mine is serenalynnclark... duh!

    ReplyDelete